Dienstag, 20. Januar 2015

Author's time: Interview with Tess Gerritsen

Hello everybody! Today I am going to introduce a new rubric to this Blog called Author's Time, where I am going to post either information about or an Interview with the author, both in German and English.
This is an Interview with Tess Gerritsen, a Maine writer well known for her mystery novels. If you want to check out her books, I already posted a german review about her first book, 'The Surgeon'.
The Interview is rather short and consists of 6 Questions, so let's begin:
Image result for tess gerritsen 
Source for Image: Wikipedia.org
1.Q:What was you favourite book when you were young, did you enjoy reading when you were that Age, and what reading did you not enjoy at all?

A:I loved reading just about everything as a child, from mysteries to gothic romances to science fiction. I would say my favorite book as a child was "The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien.

2.Q:Would you be friends with Jane and Maura if they were real persons?

 
A:I would probably be friends with Maura, as we're so much alike.

3.Q: I imagine that there are many situations when you love to be an author, but are there also situations when you regret it just a little bit that you chose that path of career?

A:I've never regretted becoming an author. I love what I do, most of the time. The tough part is having to deal with occasional writer's block and with a constant feeling that I don't really know what I'm doing.

4.Q: Rizzoli and Isles are both outsiders in a way: Jane is the only girl under brothers, and the only female cop in the homicide department, and Maura grew up as the obviously adopted child and is later the ‘Queen of the Dead’, not belonging in the row of cops and also different in the world of the MEs. Were there times in life where you couuld identify yourself with this role?

 A:
Absolutely. I've always felt like an outsider. I was the only Asian kid in my elementary school class and I never felt I fit in. Growing up as a minority made me feel I stood out and I knew I would have to work hard to prove myself. That's very much what Jane feels.


5.Q:It is said that Jane was never intended to  survive ‘The Surgeon’. Do you know approximately how a book is going to end or is it an evolving process?

A.Yes,  Jane was a secondary character in that book and I thought she would die. About 3/4 of the way through the first draft, I realized I liked her and understood why she was so bitter, and I couldn't kill her as planned. Plots often change when I'm on my first draft because the story evolves into something I didn't foresee. I don't outline ahead of time, so there's always room for some new twist.

6.Q:.Last question: Maura shares some of your physical and personality Features,but is there also a part of your personality in Jane? If yes, what part?

A:What I share with Jane is that sense of being an outsider, of having to fight for acceptance. No matter how old I get, it will always be part of my psyche.

That's it from me today, a biography and the german post will follow, Cara

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen